Benefit from a full day of mill and forestry site tours in southern Minnesota and west-central Wisconsin. This area is a hotbed of major primary and secondary wood manufacturing facilities. Select from two exciting tours and enjoy plenty of time to network with top forest industry veterans on the bus ride and during the site visits. Return from a fun, productive day on the road with a reception in the exhibit hall, complete with food, drinks, and plenty more networking!
Note: Pre-registration is required for the tours and only available for registered attendees.
- Tuesday, June 3, 2014
- 8am-5pm: Depart from and return to the Kahler Grand Hotel
- Pre-registration is required and only available for registered attendees
- Cost: $100 per person (only available for registered attendees)
- Lunch and transportation provided (Pick up from and return to the Kahler Grand Hotel)
- Each bus will have an industry expert manning a PA system and armed with regional/national industry knowledge
TOUR A: Forestry and biomass
- Lambert Forest Products — View an active hardwood logging site.
- Stella-Jones: Bangor, WI — Visit this leading North American manufacturer of pressure treated wood products (railway ties and utility poles).
- Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center: La Crosse, WI — View the facility’s new $6.5 million wood chip boiler which is projected to save the health system $500,000 a year. The 800-horsepower boiler also represents nearly 40 percent of Gundersen’s goal of 100 percent energy independence by next year.
TOUR B: Secondary manufacturing
- Ashley Furniture: Arcadia, WI — See firsthand what it takes to be the largest manufacturer of furniture in the world. Established in 1945, Ashley offers one of the industry’s broadest product assortments to retail partners in 123 countries.
- Wenonah Canoe: Winona, MN — This small, independent, family-owned company has become an award-winning designer and manufacturer of high performance canoes and kayaks, sold and paddled around the world.
- Tuohy Furniture Corporation: Chatfield, MN — Get an up-close look at this international design and manufacturing company that focuses on high quality solutions to workplace environments.