Job Title / PCN: Fairbanks-Delta Area Forester (Forester IV), 10-9503
What this position is about
This position supports the communities of Fairbanks and Delta through active forest management. This is the lead forester and area manager for state forest lands near Fairbanks and Delta in Interior Alaska. You will manage a robust timber program and very active fire management program. You will work with the local timber industry to accomplish silvicultural goals as well as contractors and cooperators to meet fire protection and mitigation goals. You will directly manage a resource forester, two fire management officers and an area administrative assistant. Indirectly you will manage fire technicians, dispatchers, prevention staff, forest road construction and maintenance, Forest practices, and silvicultural activities.
What is the mission and culture of the Alaska Division of Forestry?
The mission of the Division of Forestry is to develop, conserve, and enhance Alaska’s forests to provide a sustainable supply of forest resources for Alaskans. We are leaders in wildland fire management, forest management, forest practices, and cooperative forestry programs across the state. Our influence crosses ownership boundaries through leadership of all-risk incident management teams, management of federal timber resources under the Good Neighbor Authority, inventory of statewide timber resources, and up-to-date best management practices that apply to all commercial forests.
What are the benefits of living in Interior Alaska?
Life in Interior Alaska is an outdoor recreation enthusiasts dream. Situated conveniently between the Alaska and Brooks mountain ranges there are abundant public lands with trails, rivers, wildlife viewing, fishing and hunting opportunities. Denali National Park, Wrangell-St. Elias and Gates of the Arctic are all within reach. Fairbanks is also the second largest city in Alaska with the state’s largest university as well as parks, museums, theaters and all that a moderately sized city has to offer.
Who are we looking for?
To be successful in this position a candidate will need the following core competencies:
- Leadership abilities, can develop a team environment and coach employees to meet professional goals.
- Effective communicator, self-starter, accountable and respectful of other.
- A creative problem solver who can identify issues and develop solutions.
The ideal candidate is a motivated individual who can demonstrate the following desired competencies, and experience
- Demonstrated experience with wildland fire operations and prevention, including urban interface and remote fires;
- Knowledge of and/or experience with state forestry rules and regulations;
- Experience with preparing, administering, or implementing a diverse budget across multiple programs;
- Extensive field experience in timber sale unit design and layout;
- Strong supervision and management skills, including the ability to successfully address multiple priorities, set work goals, and monitor staff progress to meet workload demands;
- Experience with facilitating public process with the goal of reaching a consensus on difficult or complex issues among parties with divergent interests;
- Experience coordinating with other agencies, public groups, and private individuals on timber sale planning, sale schedules, and forest management plans; and
- Strong oral (including listening) and written communication skills.
If you share the division’s values of resourcefulness, integrity, professionalism, duty, dedication, caring, respect, vision, and spirit, consider applying for this outstanding opportunity.
If you are interested in making a difference and expanding your professional horizons, please consider applying for this outstanding opportunity.
Position may require travel both in and out-of-state for fire suppression assignments; may be on stand-by or recall status during the fire season; may be assigned work in and out of the area that requires the absence from the duty station for 14 to 21 days.
Name: Jeremy Douse
|Job Title:||Area Forester|
|Job Type:||Forestry/Wildland Fire|