Modeled after the Department of Energy’s Solar Decathlon, the Wood Stove Decathlon, taking place on the National Mall in Washington D.C. from November 15-19, is the final event of a technology challenge for teams to design and build next-generation clean burning wood stoves. The event is hosted by the Alliance for Green Heat, a non-profit which promotes the use of advanced wood stove technology as an affordable energy source and dispels myths about wood and pellet heating.
The Wood Stove Decathlon will showcase technology which drastically reduces pollution from wood stoves, makes them more efficient and helps the average American family save up to $1,000 dollars each winter on heating bills. In addition to the 13 wood stoves in competition in the Decathlon, exhibitors will feature wood and pellet stoves and retrofits, and panelists will speak on state and federal policy, resource sustainability, modern wood stove technology and related services.
The Partners and Sponsors include Popular Mechanics, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Brookhaven National Lab, NYSERDA, several universities and state agencies and many others. A full list of sponsors can be found here: http://www.forgreenheat.org/stovedesign/sponsor.html.
WHAT: Ten judges will test and assess 13 finalist stoves based on their ability to meet pollution reduction, efficiency, affordability and other criteria. A winner will be announced on November 19.
WHEN: The event will take place from Friday, November 15-Tuesday, November 19. Media highlights include:
- Friday, November 15, 10:30am-12pm–Opening Ceremonies
- Saturday, November 16, 1:00 pm–Panel: How Sustainable are Firewood and Pellets in the Long Term?
- Sunday, November 17, 3:00pm–Panel: What Makes EPA Certified Stoves Cleaner and More Efficient?
- Monday, November 18, 9:00am–Panel: Congress, the Administration & Thermal Biomass Policy
- Monday, November 18, 10:00am–Panel: Future of Wood Stove Technology
- Monday, November 18, 12:00 pm–Panel: Developing a Green Label for Wood Stoves
- Monday, November 18, 2:00 pm–EPA Emission Standards: A Looming Battle
- Tuesday, November 20, 4:00pm–Final Awards Ceremony
A full schedule of activities can be found here: http://www.forgreenheat.org/stovedesign/schedule.html.
WHERE: The National Mall, 12th & Jefferson Drive SW, Washington D.C.
WHO: The full list of 13 finalists can be found here: http://www.forgreenheat.org/stovedesign/finalists.html.